Friday, April 19, 2013

Some treasures from One Thousand Gifts.

I finished the book!  I did, I did.  I felt like it took me a while, but I don't think it was meant to be read at light speed. Probably some contemplation was good on this one.  Again the book was One Thousand Gifts  by Ann Voskamp.

And so, I just wanted to share some quotes from the book that I really liked, that hit home for me.

"'Without exception ... all try their hardest to reach the same goal, that is joy.'" Hmm.

"At the Eucharist, Christ breaks His heart to heal ours - Christ, the complete accomplishment of our salvation." Makes receiving the Eucharist mean all that much more

"Prayer without ceasing is only possible in a life of continual thanks." Thanks for the good and the bad

"I cannot think of a single advantage I've ever gained from being in a hurry." So true...

"Whatever the pace, time will keep it and there's no outrunning it." This kind of made me okay with losing my watch

"Emergencies are sudden, unexpected events - but is anything under the sun unexpected to God?" hmm

"Simplicity is ultimately a matter of focus."

"'One act of Thanksgiving, when things go wrong for us, is worth a thousand thanks when things are agreeable to our inclinations'.-Saint John of the Cross" 

"'Learning slowly to not be so reactionary while inserting verbal gratitude into stressful situations is almost like being healed of mental blindness.'" I so need to work on this.

"Anything less than gratitude and trust is practical atheism." 

"Thanks is what builds trust."

"All gratitude is ultimately graditude for Christ."

"God reveals himself in rearview mirrors." I've definitely found this true.

"Expectations kill relationships-especially with God."

"But when Christ is at the center, when dishes, laundry, work, is my song of thanks to Him, joy rains." I need this. Yes. 

"Every breath's a battle between grudgery and gratitude and we must keep thanks on the lips so we can sip from the holy grail of joy. " Yes. 

"Doesn't eucharisteo rename all God's children their truest name: 'Loved one.'" Yes.

I loved this book more than I thought I would.  IMHO, a lot of faith books lack depth in the protestant world.  This one did not, and by the end had me screaming internally that this lady needs to be Catholic.  She would love it so much.  But God knows a billion times more things than I do, so I'll leave it up to him. Anyway, read it if you can.  I found it at my local library, so I hope you can too.

No comments:

Post a Comment