Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Inherited

The concept of an inheritance is an interesting one.  As a human child of two parents, I've never really thought much about inheriting money or gifts when my parents pass on from this life.  I have met others, who for some reason or another do expect an inheritance. I've come to expect nothing and to expect an inheritance, at least in my circumstance, it baffles me.  But the same time, I'm beginning to wonder about the concept of inheritance, but in a different way.

You see, I've been reading, yes, I know, I'm always reading.  But I was reading about an approach to God in the context of inheritance.  To inherit something is to receive as an heir.  An heir, and to me this comes full circle to being a child of God.  A child of God is his child no matter what, he formed us as children, he blueprinted each and everyone of us with gifts, but also so that each and every one of us can have relationship with him.  He's our Father and the best father around, one that will listen, that will be with us, that will keep us safe.  And its important to know that we don't earn those things, they are there, God is always there.

I think sometimes, its so hard to see God as this all loving Father, because we have so many examples of failed love all around us on this Earth. We fear being let down or punished or ridiculed by our earthly examples of love that its so hard to fathom and then trust in an all loving God.  A God that isn't going to fail to show up, or let us down.  Maybe its our own human fallenness that gets in the way of us seeing this, this true trust that can be with God.  I don't know, but I do think knowing that we are heirs, we do inherit from the Father, because we are his children.

No comments:

Post a Comment