Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Conquer with kindness

Dear Lena,

I finally picked up Little Women again.  I think you will like it someday when you read it.  It's not as good as the Anne of Green Gables series in my opinion, but its got some good bits in it.  Jo reminds me of myself a little at times.

Anyway, in the part I was reading the youngest sister, Amy, had an injustice against her.  She actually kept her composure about it too, which probably wouldn't have happened if it was earlier in the book.  Her mother states:

"'A kiss for a blow is always best, though it's not very easy to give it sometimes.'"

Duplo tree eating dinosaur! Roar!
Immediately, this made me think that "Wow, what simple, crisp advice here and, wow, how much do I struggle with it."  I guess Lena girl, your mama still has some growing up to do.  I am however beginning to realize more and more that life isn't really meant to be fair.  We may want to have justice in everything, and in some ways, it sucks to be on the receiving end of a blow, because it can hurt.  But justice, well, in the true sense, I'm kind of glad life isn't fair because that would mean that mercy wouldn't exist, and that Jesus guy would be all for naught, and well, he isn't.

If you are wronged though, I think its okay to be hurt, but it shouldn't consume you to revenge or to judge another. Mercy is really a beautiful thing. When you remember that someone's harm to you says more about them than it does about you, then kindness may be easier to return.

And one more bit, that kindness that we return, well it might just be what that other person needs. Because they probably don't want to admit it, but they are hurting too. And since we are trying to love in this life Lena girl, well, we might as well try it.  So, hard as it may be, let's kill them with kindness.

Love,
Your Mama


No comments:

Post a Comment