Tuesday, January 22, 2013

The melancholic child

Dude, I hate that I say that Ephraim is a hard baby, this doesn't make him a bad child.  But yes for me he has been a hard baby.  We just differ in who we are and its been a learning curve over the last 15 months.  I've learned through the book The Temperament that God Gave Your Children that I am of the choleric temperament, while Ephraim is of the melancholic temperament. It's not that melancholic is hard in itself.  It's just another temperament after all.  But its weird because my first kid had the same temperament as me we just gelled a little more.  I could push him where he needed to be pushed and such.  Ephraim just has his own timing, and cannot be pushed.  This comes in play with things like being away from mama, or needing to be nursed still in certain situations, or pinning down a bedtime.

I think though its good that I'm learning this point of information about him though (that sounds so scientist-like to say, weird).  I hope to be more understanding of who he is as a person because of it.  I hope that he and I can fight each other less and maybe when he's a teenager he won't crawl in a hole and never come out because he's become so isolated and introverted from me pushing him too much.

It's a hard thing to not be able to parent the same for each child, but then again if we were all the same life would be so boring.

No comments:

Post a Comment