Sunday, November 9, 2014

A little tidbit on birth

Honestly, usually I don't tackle things like general statements on birth of babies, because there are so many things attached with it.  I will totally tell my own birth stories, but generalities come with so much attachment. It's such an emotional experience and different women want such different things out of it. But a FB friend posted a positive comment about going from cesarean section, to medicated v-bac to natural birth and loving finally having the birth she wanted. I simply thought it was really  awesome for her to have such a positive experience get the kind of birth she could feel good about. Because natural  childbirth doesn't mean awesome birthing experience always, but but for her this component contributed to a great birth.

I've had three completely different births myself, even though to the outsider they may be classified as natural childbirth. My first was a hospital birth with a midwife who was great despite the mostly medicalized setting, it was what I needed and if similar circumstance arises, I would find this midwife again because she listened. My second was in a birthing center, still attached to a hospital, the midwife didn't show up and the on call doctor delivered my son, this birth if you read back posts didn't go as planned and took a while to process. My third birth took place at home with a midwife and it was calm and awesome and redeemed birth for me.

I don't think everyone needs birth to be the same for them and I think each woman has different expectations. I think what it comes down to is that birth is really hard to control, and honestly you aren't going to just pick things out of a catalog and get it, labor is unpredictable, baby positioning is not controllable among many other things.

However, what I do think makes the difference is the people around you during birth, whether they support or break you down. These people can make or break a birthing experience. Putting all necessary medical intervention aside, I really do think having an attendant who listens and doesn't push an agenda on you makes all the difference in the world, it definitely did for me.

Happy Sunday everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment