Friday, September 12, 2008

Setting me Up to be Catholic and the Power of Women

So two unrelated things that I want to address today. First, maybe another link as to why I am a Catholic convert. And Second, women can take a whole lot more than you think society and some prominent males think they can.

1. So today after reading a Lisa Hendey post on Faith and Family Live , I was looking at Catholic Names which is a site that gives you an appropriate name for a Catholic child born on a certain day. I mean its not something that is mandated, but its something someone probably thought of so that the saints could be remembered even more and would be another way to teach your child about Catholicism. So I was looking up what it would have been for the day I was born. I looked in the girls names, but there was none given for Sept. 13, so I then looked in the boys names. And oddly enough Aime came up. So google the meaning of the name, and it brought me to a page that said Aime or otherwise spelled Aimee, and if you know me then you know that's my middle name. And then looking more into the month of Sept. Names, the 9th of September was Kieran. The boy version of Kiera, my first name, so odd. So I just wonder if my parents knew what they were doing when they named me. God works in mysterious ways.

2. Reading an article in The Los Angeles Times about Sarah Palin making a mistake by being thankful for her downs syndrome child, made me think about the power of women. In this article a Canadian doctor promotes first Eugenics, by saying that Downs children are not worthy of living. But really what gets to me in this is that the reason he says that they should be aborted is that most women can't handle a Downs baby. Well first of all most women don't have downs babys. God gives them to a select few, and you know what these women are much stronger than you think Eugenics promoting doctor. I think that for some reason we are told that we can't handle anything but the normal, or even better anything that is painful. Really we can. We are women. We a built to be multi-taskers and pain takers and are built for the tough situations that arise in motherhood. We can take care of a disabled child or a child that has an extra chromosome. So stop saying that we can't. I'm sick of it. I am sick of people saying that oh you can't have a kid why you are still in school, that kid will be screwed up. Or oh you can't have a baby because you don't have a steady income. What about all those women in developing countries that handle so much more than we do in their lives and are mothers as well? They can be mothers and good mothers at that, so I think us posh americans can do it too. Women have the ability be amazing when they live the lives that they are intended to by God. So society please stop making us be a man instead of a woman, and stop telling us we aren't strong enough to rise up to the occasion of dealing with the abnormal, or even the non-pampered normal. We can!

No comments:

Post a Comment