Saturday, August 11, 2018

Lessons Learned from a less than stellar airbnb renting review.

If you ever rent through Airbnb, there's a rating system.  Both the host and the renter get to rate the visit. It somehow seems lucrative, but at the same time it helps keep a standard for those looking for a place, and I guess helps people to be respectful of where they are staying. So maybe its not a terrible thing. :)

Post our month stay we received a review about our stay in Indy. It wasn't the best. Kinder words could have been said, and it pointed out my flaws, but also made assumptions that were not true. It hurt a bit. But after a few days of thinking about it, probably over thinking, I think I learned a few things. 

1. I am not perfect. I forgot to do a few things on the check-out, and I was caught. I had tried my best, but my imperfections were pointed out in a not so flattering way. It's good to know that you fail sometimes after all. 

2. I can't please everyone. I definitely can fall into wanting everyone to be happy with everything I do, and that just isn't going to happen 100% of the time. I need to grow to be more okay with that and this is an opportunity to do so. 

3. Its not going to matter in the long run. As a friend pointed out, its not going to stop us from further adventures, and that is a really good thing to remember. 

4. I still could remember my essential truth better. I am a beloved child of God. My worth comes from God and not from a person's review of how I clean. 

5. To remember the bigger picture, one bad thing doesn't have to negate the amazing adventure we had in our month away. My physical chemistry professor in college was big on the forest for the trees expression, and it definitely applies here. 

A learning experience it was, I know we learn more from what we fail at than what we shoot through with flying colors, so perhaps this is helpful to remember when I am struggling to remember the word for tired in German. Or when the 1 year old is refusing to nap for me. Oh, yes, the lessons I still need to learn. 

"Well, now I'll try my best
And you will be with me to never second guess
And we will show the world just how we passed this test
And we will show the world we're better than this mess" 
 The Rocket Summer - (Full song below)


No comments:

Post a Comment