Friday, January 16, 2015

Being Kind to Self

There's a crazy sea turtle Lake Erie Monster guy coming to get disheveled me! AHHH!

I'm going to be honest with you all. I don't shower everyday.  I just don't see the need to, plus its winter and there's this thing called eczema that shows up when I shower too much and I have curly hair that hates being over washed. I just don't need to shower every day so I don't.  I do still shower, its just not an every day thing.

For a lot of people showering is something that says that they are taking care of themselves. For me its other things, and I have been thinking about them because when it comes down to it I haven't been good about doing them regularly.  Maybe its winter, maybe its being the mom of 3 small kids, maybe its just me forgetting about me. Maybe its because this was the example I was given or just that I am lazy.  Whatever is the case, it has got to stop.

I need to take care of me. Because after all, and this is a big revelation guys, really, I am a person.  And those little people, while they are people too, they need to see me taking care of myself so that they can see how respect for oneself really comes about.  

To others, this can mean something different, but for me I think this means putting in contacts most days and dressing in an actual put together outfit.  No sweats or pajamas. And I'm going to go a little crazy here, but for me I also think it means putting a little flare with some make-up too.  Not crazy makeup, but guys I went to check out my one tube of mascara I had today, and guess what? It was all dried up.  Really.  So I carted everyone out to a store post library trip and bought some. When I went out for a girls dinner night tonight with a friend, I actually felt like a person.  A person!  

I have to do other things for me too, like well, exercising. My head functions better if I get out for a long walk or shorter run at least 3 times a week.  I also need to pray daily, and talk to one adult during the day, and eat healthily but those things are mostly routine now so I'm okay there, but they can fall off track due to illness and such so its good to remind myself of their need too.  

And here is the reason I think this is all important: Its because if I like me, the me I see in the mirror, and I am doing my best to be me, not pulling me apart unnecessarily, but actually taking care of myself, I think I can actually take on the day and have a fighting chance at enjoying the heck out ofmy kids and my vocation. God's grace is definitely still key, but I think if I don't even have all my cards in the ring to use the his grace, I'm going to struggle even more.  So today, today I started new, and well, I like it, I like it a lot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment