Monday, June 4, 2012

A cringing moment that ended pretty okay

Last Wednesday I took the kids to Target by myself when Keith had class. I had the toddler out of the car with his baby Jack in hand and had just put the baby in the sling on me. I looked down to see if all was well with the toddler and then moved to close the car door. And that's when it happened.

The toddler screamed bloody murder, as he had somehow managed to stick his fingers between the two car doors in the split second it took me to close the door. Unfortunately the car was locked and I have a no frills car, I had to manually unlock it. So I did.

The kiddo was now free, still screaming. I looked at his hand, it was red with a lot of skin pulled off from where it was supposed to be. I looked up and like a godsend saw someone who could help me. My neighbors were just heading into the same store and they had and extra set of hands to help. And help they did.

They took the baby for a few minutes so I could calm Ben down and get him washed up.  He could move his fingers fine so we assessed that they probably weren't broken. There was some swelling, but once we got it cleaned up, Ben was totally fine with just being held in the sling and so we reversed Ben and Ephraim's spot for the shopping trip. From there it was a pretty good shopping trip. Ben just asked for his friend the whole time we were in the store and was mad when we got duplos for someone other than him.  But in actuality it was better Target excursion than we had been having.

So as I look back, I like to think that God was looking out for me.  Putting the right people in the right place at the right time.  Giving me the ability to comfort the bigger kid while entertaining the little one in the still entertaining grocery cart.  So despite being mock mom of the year for slamming my kids fingers accidentally in the car door, God's hand was there, and I'm thankful for that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment