Wednesday, May 16, 2012

The contraception issue

Read this. It's good stuff. Does The Contraceptive Mentality Exist?
In it Rebecca Teti does it again. This lady makes such elegant arguments for important issues. I on the other hand struggle. But the pull away from this is that children are blessings not burdens and until we stopping thinking that we may ourselves just have a bit of the contraceptive mentality.

I know this is a struggle amongst our society, because there are so many things and people telling us our lives are about us instead of God and others. We have to be done having children after the appropriate 2 because we need to be able to have our pre-children life back. We can't leave it open to God to decide otherwise.

I have to say that sometimes I do struggle with what I think I can handle versus what God thinks I can. Sometimes I try to do too much or too little and forget to ask God for help. It's a life long challenge, abandoning yourself to God's will for your life. I think we always want a false sense of control, when if we knew better we would know we don't have it.

Last night I was finishing up a book called "Style, Sex and Substance". In the last section there was a quote from Bl. Mother Teresa. In it she said, "Do not seek an easy life. Seek to be a strong person." This quote rings true to be countercultural. To not have that contraception mentality. To take on the challenges that God gives you and do so willingly and maybe even smile through it, knowing God is in control not you.

My husband says that most people are just trudging through life trying to make it as easy as possible on themselves. This is probably true, and I know that I've definitely coined the phrase "Well, whatever's easiest." But to truly live out our faith in Jesus, this can't be our lifestyle, right? So let's fight the current and be countercultural and bring ourselves back to the source, Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment