Tuesday, March 26, 2013

In which I resolve to yell less...

I know I am not perfect.  I am human, not God, and I wasn't made without original sin like Mary.  So if I give the appearance that I have it all together, well I don't.  I think this here blog is probably one of the places where I probably show that I am human the most.  But here is another thing that will give way to that notion.

I feel like some days I yell a lot.  I don't want to, but I do.  I want to be more positive and not negative, and while I don't complain to my kids, I sometimes will yell at them when they are being unsafe, or just driving me crazy.  This usually happens with my oldest, and he doesn't like being yelled at, my youngest doesn't have the capacity to get into as many life threatening binds.  I know I don't like being yelled at, and really why do I yell?  

Pride probably comes into play.  But also its first instinct, especially if we can't keep up with them, because we are focused on us or if they have just tested a boundary.  But yelling, its uncomfortable.  And I know for myself, it sours my day.  So I shouldn't yell, at least not as much as I do.  Adults don't like being yelled at, so I am sure that children don't either.  And sometimes we have issues whether it be differences in personalities or simply that toddlers and preschoolers test your boundaries as they are exploring so much and learning so much.  Maybe the root comes from the fact that we all want our time and our space, and well kids they want us!  Fully. So we act out, just the same as a toddler acts out, but somehow we accept us doing it but not them.  There does need to be a balance, and this is why there are 2 parents!!! And why there are usually good friends that help too. 

Anyway, this Holy Week and then Easter season and beyond, I am going to try my best to yell less.  To be more present, and to involve my kiddos in what I do as much as I can.  Computers and internets can wait till they are sleeping, its better for everyone anyway.  

Now, if I could only not have kiddos darting off into parking lots or biting siblings, then there would be less reason to yell.  

No comments:

Post a Comment