Wednesday, April 14, 2010

labor pains part 3:delivery

Hi all. Finally I am going to finish the birth story of Ben. Up to this point we were on our way to the hospital with my water broken. Ironically Keith told me it broke during the Rocket Summer song Walls, in which the lyrics go "break the walls down, we're gonna bust you out and take you home." Yea for Mr. Bryce Avary for adding to the moment. So we drove down bumpy Chester Ave to UH-Case and arrived at Rainbow Babies, last time we arrived I could walk in, this time there was no chance of walking to MacDonald. I gladly took the wheel chair and apologized in advance to the guy pushing it for making it all wet.

When we got to MacDonald the midwife saw me and immediately got me to a room. She knew I was already pushing. Thus I got to skip the 20 minutes of EFM. I still had the urge to be over the toilet, so I disrobed from the waist down, and continued pushing over the toilet. After a while I wanted to change positions, so I moved to the hospital bed and was on my hands and knees pushing, they then got out the squatting bar and had me try that. Ultimately I ended up between squatting and lying back with my legs up on the squatting bar. To get from one to the other, I would pull myself up cause I had a lot of adrenaline in my system despite only sleeping for 1 hour in the last 24+ hours. Needless to say, the next day my arms and pecs were super sore. The only annoying thing was the intermittent EFM that they did, it just seemed not to jive with the process of the whole pushing a baby out thing.

I think what got me thru the pushing because for me I couldn't tell how much progress I was actually making was that there was a nurse there that said she wanted to see the baby be born and she had to leave at 12:15pm, this made me think the end was in sight, and so it was. After a little more than 2 hours of pushing, Ben was born at 12:12pm. What was cool was that Keith got to catch him on the way out, and there was no intervention except for some EFM. I got to wear my own clothes, and they gave me Ben right way when he was born. Even though this whole time I knew I was carrying a baby, the moment they put him on me I was elated, it was really him my baby boy. Keith was crying at this point too, that kinda made me smile. So Ben was 8lbs 11ozs and 20inches long. A big baby boy. Apparently this shocked the midwives as they though he was gonna be a bit over 6lbs not almost 9lbs. So after this the three of us passed out for like an hour all totally exhausted, but a happy new little family.

No comments:

Post a Comment